About the Stanley Thompson Statue
The idea for the Stanley Thompson statue began during a golf outing at Highlands Links in the fall of 2007. A group of good friends started asking what if we could do something that would enhance Cape Breton Highlands Links as one of the best golfing experiences in the world – what if we could give something back to the course and the community of Ingonish?
After some discussion this group of friends decided to form a group with the goal of raising funds for the creation of a monument. The vision was a monument that would recognize the course designer, the legendary Stanley Thompson, and the community of Ingonish which provided the land and labour for the creation of the course which officially opened July 1, 1941.
Following the official formation of the “Highlands Links Stanley Thompson Historical Society” in early 2008, a fundraising plan was put in place and over the next 4 years the group was successful in raising the funds required to complete the bronze statue of Stanley Thompson and the commemorative plaques that are now proudly displayed near the number one tee on the course. The Stanley Thompson statue was created by Canadian Sculptor Robert Dey and was official unveiled September 16, 2012